Wednesday, June 15, 2016

A Day in the Life...

A few things I’ve learned so far…
-There are scorpions in my cabin

Case in point!

-When I walk outside, my glasses instantly fog up because of the humidity
-There’s no bad place to sit at meals because everyone here is so kind and so interesting!!!

A typical day here at Onboarding (that’s what the training here in TX is called) looks something like this:
·      Eat breakfast with the others in my cabin
·      Morning class (This week we are covering the foundations of Christianity so we are all on the same page before we go out and do our best to represent God to those around us in Benin)



·      Lunch together in the cafeteria (which I can successfully find on my own now!)
·      Afternoon class (the classes are really fascinating and I am highly enjoying the leaders who are teaching them! They so clearly want to communicate only what is Biblical and what God wants them to communicate. They choose their words so carefully because of that and I really appreciate that aspect. Today we were taught by a South African man, an American woman, and a Dutch woman! I love hearing the gospel in all those accents!)
·      Dinner
·      Free for the evening – so far I’ve spent one evening watching the NBA finals (in a little café on campus, which has the only TV with cable, along with a our videographer, photographer, Second Officer, and guest services manager), one evening watching Armageddon (because I like being with people so much that I’ll watch whatever they want to watch and I haven’t told everyone yet that the only DVD I deemed worthy to come along in my limited luggage is Tangled), one evening in the pool on campus doing water aerobics (led by a roommate of mine who is the ships rehab team leader), and this evening we took our weekly run to Wal-Mart (which was totally worth it even though I had nothing to get because it’s so nice and cool in there)!
This actually happened! That's me in the front there!

·      Then it’s off to bed to be ready for tomorrow (after checking under the covers for scorpions of course)!

So... having fun, learning a lot, meeting awesome people! So far so good!

P.S. This is a verse from class today that I especially liked!
Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he’s there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!
                                     -Hebrews 12:2-3 (MSG)

1 comment:

  1. Love reading about your new adventures! So excited for you Beth! Love and prayers from the Francisco's.❤️

    ReplyDelete